SUMMERSIDE, P.E.I. - Despite plenty of team restructuring on the Canadian men's curling scene in recent weeks, Team Jennifer Jones is vowing to remain intact for another four years.
"We are excited to officially announce that our team is fully committed to staying together and working hard to get another chance to represent Canada at the Olympics," said Jones, who skipped the rink to gold at the Sochi Games with third Kaitlyn Lawes, second Jill Officer and lead Dawn McEwen.
The last six months have been a whirlwind for Kevin Dineen.
In October he was coaching the NHL's Florida Panthers. But after being fired in November, he was named the Canadian women's team coach and guided the squad to a stirring fourth straight Olympic title in Sochi, Russia.
Dineen is now with a third team, preparing the Canadian under-18 men's squad to defend its world title in Finland.
"It's been (a whirlwind) but you know what, it's a hockey life," Dineen said. "You have tough times with the lows, you get fired and it's an emotional deal.
QUEBEC CITY, Que. - Georges St-Pierre may be the king of MMA in Quebec but Patrick (The Predator) Cote is also UFC royalty in La Belle Province.
The 34-year-old welterweight, in his 10th year in the UFC, will walk into the cage for the 15th time Wednesday night when he takes on Australian Kyle Noke in a battle of rival coaches from "The Ultimate Fighter Nations" reality TV show.
PRETORIA, South Africa - Wrapping up five days of relentless cross-examination of Oscar Pistorius at his murder trial, the chief prosecutor insisted Tuesday that he intentionally shot his girlfriend to death after they argued and — in a final exchange — urged the Olympic athlete to take responsibility for the Valentine's Day killing.
If the St. Louis Blues can't take any positives from a six-game losing streak to end the regular season, maybe they can find some in four straight losses at this time last year.
The Blues were up two games to none on the defending Stanley Cup-champion Los Angeles Kings in the 2013 Western Conference quarter-finals and were starting feeling pretty good about themselves.
TORONTO - A video game simulation has the Boston Bruins winning the Stanley Cup in six games against the San Jose Sharks.
The EA Sports simulation, using the made-in-Vancouver "NHL 14" game, has Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask winning the Conn Smythe Trophy with a goals-against average of 1.56 and .948 save percentage with four shutouts.
Forward David Krejci leads the Bruins with 21 points.
HONG KONG - Canada will play for seventh place at the eight-team IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy after dropping a 37-12 decision to Japan on Tuesday.
Canada trailed 13-5 at the half before the Japanese pulled away. Matt Mullins of Belleville, Ont., and Djustice Sears-Duru of Oakville, Ont., scored tries in a losing cause.
The Canadian under-20 men opened with a 37-25 loss to Namibia before bouncing back to tie Uruguay 18-18.
Canada will play host winless Hong Kong in its final game Saturday. Tonga will take on Japan for the championship in a clash of 2-1-0 teams.
BIRMINGHAM, England - Aston Villa has suspended the assistant manager and a key off-field official as the club fights to stay in the English Premier League.
The sudden announcement on Tuesday comes with Villa just four points above the relegation zone with five games remaining.
The central England club says Ian Culverhouse, assistant to manager Paul Lambert, and Gary Karsa, the head of football operations, have been suspended pending an internal investigation. Further details were not provided.
QUEBEC CITY, Que. - Leslie (The Peacemaker) Smith was in a car returning from training when the phone rang.
"I was still sweaty," she recalled. "(Manager/trainer) Cesar Gracie called and said 'Can you be ready in 10 days?' And I knew, after doing the math, that it was the Kaufman fight and I said 'Hell yeah.'"
Welcome to the UFC, Leslie.
One phone call and the 31-year-old from Pittsburg, Calif., had become the third opponent lined up for Victoria's Sarah Kaufman for Wednesday's Ultimate Fighter Nations televised card.
PARIS - Red Bull has lost its appeal against the disqualification of its driver Daniel Ricciardo at the Australian Grand Prix.
The International Court of Appeal, which is the dispute-resolution tribunal for motorsport, says on Tuesday in a brief statement that it upheld the race stewards' original decision in Melbourne.