The widow of a La Ronge businessman killed during an alleged armed robbery is reacting after a youth accused of the killing was released on bail
Simon Grant died in April at his Louisiana’s Bar-B-Que restaurant/
A 14-year-old boy charged with second-degree murder was released on bail on Jul. 27.
“This is second-degree murder. My husband lost his life and it was done very brutally,” Grant’s widow Cora Laich said.
She told 650 CKOM she learned of the teen’s release in the Calgary airport.
“I felt blindsided and sort of had to absorb what had just happened to even have a feeling of where do I go from here,” she said.
The boy was released under conditions which including not to be in La Ronge except to attend court, reporting to a youth worker and that he not possess alcohol, drugs or weapons.
“Friends of mine saw the boy walking around in a Prince Albert mall just last week,” Laich said.
She said the discovery was hard on her and her family.
“The idea of that for myself and my daughter was just wrong.”
Laich said she was only told about the bail hearing an hour before it happened.
Austin Bird, 18 and another boy, 17 are also charged with second-degree murder and armed robbery in connection to Grant’s death. Both are still in custody.
The 14-year-old boy is scheduled to return to court in September.
—with files from 650 CKOM’s Brent Bosker