As terror attacks continue to dominate international news, new details have emerged about Saskatchewan’s defence against possible threats.
RCMP assistant commissioner Curtis Zablocki joined the premier and ministers Wednesday to update rural crime and staff numbers, along with the recent terrorist attacks in London.
It was confirmed that in recent years, there has been at least one investigation in Saskatchewan into individuals who had become radicalized. No further information was provided.
While Premier Brad Wall stressed the threat level remains low in the province, he also urged vigilance.
“If there is something that seems a little bit alarming or concerning, then the best thing to do is to call the police,” Wall said.
The premier thanked the Islamic community for their vigilance and being on the lookout for anything that needs to be reported.
Rural crime was also on the agenda and was a hotly debated issue following the shooting death of Colten Boushie.
“We have enhanced our relief teams. In the past, we have had five resources attached to that relief team, we’re doubling that and adding an additional five resources,” Zablocki confirmed to reporters outside the premier’s office.
Numerous detachments had been without a full complement of officers as the Mounties dealt with high turnover, sick leave and other absences.
But Zablocki pointed out rural crime remained a concern.
“When we look at statistics over the past six years that indicate rural crime, particularly in the central parts of the province, has increased by 18 per cent,” Zablocki said.
In context, rural crime overall in the past decade has remained relatively static.
With the increase of fentanyl and other drugs in use, Zablocki added that addiction often leads to an increase in property crime.