A cold snap to start the week will lead to warmer – more seasonal – temperatures in the coming days.
“Saturday we’re forecasting a high of -4 C. Sunday a high of – 1 C, and it’s even better as you look further south,” said John Paul Cragg, a meteorologist with Environment Canada.
The weather agency issued extreme cold warnings for numerous Saskatchewan communities Tuesday morning, including Saskatoon, where temperatures were in the -30 C range.
The weather warning is issued when wind chill values hit below -40 C.
Things will look drastically different leading into the weekend, when Saskatoon will be on the cooler side of a warm-up than Regina.
“The reason why there is a difference on Friday between Saskatoon and Regina, we are forecasting a front to be sitting right through the central half of the province,” Cragg said.
“An area of high pressure sets itself up, in and around California, and it’s going to start pumping some air in from the Pacific, over the mountains and down into Saskatchewan.”
On Friday, the Bridge City has a forecast high of -7 C with a 60 percent chance of flurries, while the Queen City will sit pretty with a predicated high of -2 C with a 40 per cent chance of flurries.
“Down in Regina, the warm-up will be even quicker. In Saskatoon, the warm-up will be in little steps,” Cragg noted.