The Pats started off slow but ended with a bang Sunday afternoon, beating the Swift Current Broncos 6-3.
Both teams went through the first period scoreless, and in a break from their typical play the Pats were also behind in shots on goal.
After the intermission the Broncos came out roaring with Colby Sissions scoring in the first minute. Pats’ defenceman Sergey Zborovskiy – coming off a seven point night on Saturday – answered back at the 12:43 mark of the frame. The teams would remained tied going into the second intermission.
But the Pats offence jolted back into its usual form in the third, scoring five goals. Captain Adam Brooks kicked off the third period goal attack and extended his point streak to 19 games. Austin Wagner chipped an unassisted goal in just 31 seconds later.
The Broncos came back with back-to-back goals of their own, deadlocking the teams at 3 goals a piece.
Leedahl came in with the game winner just 10 seconds after Max Lajoie had tied it up. Then, unwilling to settle just for the game winner, Leedahl knocked in the insurance goal and made it 5-3.
A penalty from the Broncos’ Arthur Miller put the Pats on the powerplay. Luc Smith took advantage scoring the Pats fifth goal in the third period.
The Pats road record improves to 9-2-1 on the season. They’ll play two more road games in Kootenay and Lethbridge this week before returning home to Brandt Centre on Friday.
ODDS AND ENDS
- Sunday’s stars were Dawson Leedahl (Pats), Kaden Elder (Broncos) and Sergey Zborovskiy (Pats)
- Sam Steel returned to the lineup Sunday, notched an assist and had a plus/minus of 2.
- Tyler Brown stopped 24 of 27 shots for his 12th victory of the season.
- Adam Brooks and Sam Steel are the league leaders in points.
- The Pats sit third in the WHL standings behind the Everett Silvertips and the Medicine Hat Tigers.