It was the Roughriders first practice of the year at Mosaic Stadium, and fans that attended were greeted by head coach Chris Jones.
Jones gathered the fans into one section of the stands and addressed them directly, asking them to be careful about what practice information they shared online.
“I told them in years past I’ve been able to go online and use what’s written on the message board as a scouting report,” he reiterated to the media after practice.
Now that he’s here he doesn’t want to give other teams and coaches that same advantage.
Jones ran through a series of examples with the fans about what kind of information would be okay to share and what would be less desirable.
“It’s something we just can’t have, so I’m trying to educate our fans to let em know that this could actually be detrimental to our football team,” he explained. “I assume if they’re here watching practice they want us to win.”
Long time Roughriders receiver Rob Bagg said he saw the merit in his coach’s message.
“I think it’s probably a guy that looked at the things that had been leaked from our team in the past and used them to his advantage when he was playing against us,” Bagg said. “Now that he’s here … he’s trying to close those gaps.”
Jones is not the first coach to worry about leaked practice information online. In 2012, then head coach Corey Chamblin closed days 2 and 3 of practice to the public after he said fans were sharing too much.
“It has become apparent that some individuals attending practice sessions have created a competitive disadvantage by posting intricate personnel and play schemes on message boards,” Chamblin said at the time in a letter issued by the team.
Jones’ address on Sunday morning seemed to be well received by those who heard it. After he finished speaking the fans applauded.
- The Roughriders added two quarterbacks to the roster on Saturday, G.J. Kinne (15) and Bryant Moniz (24).
- B.J. Coleman has switched from #15 to #16.
- The Riders added four national players to the roster on Sunday: offensive lineman Dillon Guy, defensive back Raye Hartmann, defensive back Shane Herbert and defensive lineman Ese Mrabure-Ajufo.
- Armanti Edwards was activated from the retired list.
- Running back Lache Seastrunk as well as Defensive back Menedum Menegbo and wide receiver Kristopher Calcutt from the Regina Thunder were added to the practice roster.
- Defensive lineman Sammy Brown was moved to the disabled list.
- Tony Criswell was released from the practice roster.
- Monday’s practice begins at 10:30.