A smoke detector saves lives once again in an overnight house fire in Saskatoon.
Just before 11 p.m. Sunday the Saskatoon Fire Department responded to reports of smoke in a house at 16 Mills Crescent in the Avalon neighbourhood.
Upon arrival firefighters were greeted with heavy smoke on the second floor, and they located the source of the fire in an upstairs bedroom. Everyone made it out safe thanks to a working smoke detector. This is the second house fire in a week where a working smoke detector allowed residents to walk away uninjured.
It took fire crews about 30 minutes to extinguish the fire. Flames extended outside the home through the bedroom window damaging the home’s siding.
The fire investigator concluded the fire was accidental. Damage is estimated between $80,000.00 and $100,000.00.