A functioning smoke detector in a North Park home saved three men and a dog sound asleep Wednesday morning.
On Jan. 13, the Saskatoon Fire Department responded to a house fire on Eighth Avenue North and 33rd Street between 4:30 – 5 a.m. The three men renting the home told firefighters they were sleeping upstairs when they heard the smoke detectors going off.
“They came downstairs and from what they told me the fire was at the back of the house and they figured it was too big to deal with so they ran out and called us,” said acting battalion chief Bill Riley. “We got here and there were flames coming out of the front and the rear of the house so it spread fairly quickly.”
The two-storey home was fully engulfed when the fire department showed up and it’s considered a total loss. During the search a pet cat was located, but unfortunately it had succumbed to the smoke. Damage to the home will exceed $250,000.