Christopher Dowie woke up Thursday morning when a neighbour banged on his door to warn him that his shed was on fire.
He looked out to see smoke pouring out of the workshop in his back yard on the 600 block of Retallack Street.
Looking at the burnt-out shell of his garage, he said he had no idea how it might have started, noting that he was working inside the night before.
“I’m just devastated, I had such plans,” Dowie said.
The workshop and surrounding yard are packed full of old items because he said he likes to work on projects.
“It was crammed full of stuff,” he explained. “I’m a recycler and mild inventor.”
Firefighters stayed on the scene for a while, because the blaze flared up again.