Potash Corp Fireworks Festival goers may need to find a new vantage point to watch this weekend’s show because Rotary Park will be closed.
Instead of closing the Broadway Bridge, teams will shoot their fireworks from barges in the water just off the shore in Rotary Park. To keep spectators a safe distance away during the set up, show and take down, the park will be closed from Thursday at 6 p.m. to Sunday at 6 p.m.
Festival organizer On Purpose Events spokeswoman Mandy Pravda said organizers weren’t sure if construction on the University Bridge would be done in time for the festival.
“The University Bridge was being closed for the summer, and due to that we cannot close the Broadway Bridge because we can’t have our two main artery bridges closed,” she said.
“The University Bridge was being closed for the summer, and due to that we cannot close the Broadway Bridge because we can’t have our two main artery bridges closed,” event spokeswoman Many Pravda said
The University Bridge reopened Aug. 6, but Pravda said they had already made alternate plans.
The fireworks can still be watched from the Amphitheatre at River Landing and Friendship Park. Team France and Team Canada shows start at 9:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday respectively.
The free festival also features music, food, vendors, rides, and children’s activities.
The festival is rain or shine but Pravda said in the event of heavy rain or wind, shows may be postponed to Sunday. She said if a show is moved to Sunday there will not be any additional entertainment other than the fireworks.
Other closures due to fireworks festival:
– Saskatchewan Crescent from Victoria Avenue to under the Circle Drive Bridge, including the Meewasin Trail will be closed from Thursday at 6 p.m. until Monday.
– Spadina Crescent from Saunders Drive to 3rd Avenue will be closed from 9 a.m. Friday until Sunday.
– Third Avenue will be closed south of 19th Street from 9 a.m. Friday to Sunday, with the Spadina Crescent closure between the roundabouts.
– Saskatchewan Crescent from McPherson Avenue to East Lake Street will be closed from 4 p.m. Thursday until midnight on Saturday.
– The boat launch beneath Broadway Bridge will be closed Friday and Saturday between 3 and 11:00 p.m.
– Sections of Rotary Park, Cosmopolitan Park, and Kiwanis Memorial Park will be closed Friday and Saturday between 7 and 10 p.m. to create a buffer zone between spectators and the fireworks and possible debris