A buildup of sewer gas ignited by an arc from a light switch caused a fire in Moose Jaw that left a woman dead this week, according to the Moose Jaw Fire Department.
The 66-year-old was inside a trailer at the Trans Canada Trailer Court Monday. (She was previously identified as being 65 years old, but that information was updated.)
Tim Nickel, who lives nearby, was first on the scene.
“I was walking out from my place and I saw smoke coming out of (her) trailer,” said Nickel. “So I went closer to the trailer and I heard ‘Help me, help me’.”
Nickel then went inside.
“I couldn’t see anything, just totally black smoke. So I just reached in … fishing around … and I just felt someone on the shoulder and I dragged her out … of the trailer.”
Nickel took the woman and, with the assistance of another neighbour, did his best to care for the victim until emergency crews arrived. She was subsequently taken to Regina hospital by STARS air ambulance.
By Tuesday afternoon, it was confirmed that the woman had died.
With files from Discover Moose Jaw