Saskatoon police say a 41-year-old woman found dead in an apartment wasn’t poisoned by carbon monoxide – despite high levels of the dangerous gas recorded in the building.
Following an autopsy, authorities said Friday the woman’s death was non-criminal in nature.
The investigation will now be handled by the office of the chief coroner of Saskatchewan.
Police found the body of a woman in an apartment suite on Avenue R South Wednesday morning around 10 a.m.
Shortly after, firefighters tested for carbon monoxide and found levels of 150 parts-per-million — three times the department’s threshold for a building evacuation.
The carbon monoxide was ventilated out of the building, but 10 residents were still out of their homes as of Friday afternoon due to the lack of heat and hot water.
Saskatoon fire officials said the residents won’t be able to return until the services are restored, adding use of the boiler and chimney is prohibited until repairs or upgrades were completed.
The Red Cross is providing assistance to those involved in the evacuation.