An apartment building where a woman was found dead Wednesday is still under an evacuation order after the discovery of high levels of carbon monoxide.
According to the Saskatoon Fire Department, the multi-unit housing at 342 Avenue R South was found to have a deteriorated boiler and chimney, leading to unsafe levels of the dangerous gas.
Police found the body of a woman in an apartment suite Wednesday morning around 10 a.m. and shortly after firefighters tested for carbon monoxide.
They found levels of 150 parts-per-million, three times the fire department’s threshold for a building evacuation.
The carbon monoxide was ventilated out of the building, but 10 residents are still out of their homes due to the lack of heat and hot water.
Saskatoon fire officials said the residents won’t be able to return until the services are restored, adding use of the boiler and chimney is prohibited until repairs or upgrades were completed.
The Canadian Red Cross said Thursday they were assisting 10 residents of the building, conducting needs assessments and providing food, shelter and clothing for 72 hours.
The agency noted the average cost of assisting a family of four was $2,000, adding anyone can donate to help with the program by visiting the local Red Cross office.
Anyone in need of assistance due to the evacuation is being encouraged to contact the Red Cross at 1-888-800-6493.