Four people were arrested after an armed confrontation during an alleged theft on a rural Manitoba property over the weekend, and the RCMP say vehicles stolen from Saskatchewan were being used by the suspects.
According to the Mounties, officers were called to a rural property in the RM of Dufferin, southwest of Winnipeg, at about 10:45 p.m. on Saturday.
Read more:
- Third person charged with murder in connection with Regina shooting deaths
- Mounties arrest man and boy in Pelican Narrows shooting investigation
- Prince Albert police confirm missing teenager found dead
“The investigation determined that four suspects had attended a rural private property earlier in the day and then returned that evening in two vehicles that were later confirmed to have been stolen from Watrous, Sask.,” the RCMP said in a statement.
“The property owner, a 66-year-old male, was alerted to the activity by a motion camera and went to the area, where he observed suspects transferring fuel from a portable container into one of the stolen vehicles.”
Police said the property owner, who was armed with a gun, confronted the suspects and fired shots toward the vehicles. Three of the suspects remained at the scene until police arrived and arrested them, the RCMP said, while a fourth suspect took off in one of the stolen vehicles. That vehicle was found abandoned in a canola field a few kilometres away the following morning.
The property owner was also arrested.
The Mounties said a 29-year-old man was charged with possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, theft under $5,000, possession of stolen property under $5,000, mischief under $5,000, possession of break-in instruments, trespassing and failing to comply with conditions of a release order.
A 47-year-old man and a 41-year-old woman were each charged with theft under $5,000, possession of stolen property under $5,000, mischief under $5,000, possession of break-in instruments and trespassing.
The 66-year-old property owner was charged with two counts each of careless use of a firearm, using a firearm in the commission of an offence and discharging a firearm in a reckless manner.
The 29-year-old man and the 47-year-old man were both remanded into custody, the RCMP said, while the 41-year-old woman and the 66-year-old property owner were released on undertakings.









