Saskatoon firefighters are reminding homeowners to test their carbon monoxide detectors after being called out to a care home Thursday morning.
A crew arrived at Retiro’s Personal Care Home shortly before 10:30 a.m. after a detector in the building warned of high levels of potentially deadly carbon monoxide.
An air quality test showed a level of over 400 parts-per-million of carbon monoxide in the home, a level described as “dangerously high” in a fire department media release.
Six people were evacuated from the home. All of them were checked at the scene, but none were taken to hospital.
All the residents were allowed back in the home once the air quality was deemed safe.
The carbon monoxide was eventually traced to a faulty furnace.
The fire department advised people to test their carbon monoxide detectors each month, change the batteries every year and install a new detector every decade.