Several people were taken to the hospital Thursday after being accidentally exposed to chlorine gas at a hotel in Stonebridge neighbourhood of Saskatoon.
It happened at the Home Inn and Suites on Willis Crescent at 12:42 p.m. Thursday afternoon after muriatic acid and chlorine were accidentally mixed together, resulting in chlorine gas.
Fire crews responded to the 911 call with one fire engine, a hazmat unit and a decontamination unit. Crews were immediately able to restrict access to the area and isolate the risk to one room.
Three civilians and two firefighters were assessed and taken to the hospital as a precaution.
Crews remained on the scene to complete the clean-up of hazardous materials and decontaminate the area but there is no environmental risk as a result of the exposure.