Nearly five months after the Humboldt Broncos bus tragedy, one of the team’s members is still slowly recovering at Saskatoon’s City Hospital.
The family of Layne Matechuk say the 18-year-old defenceman’s “main obstacle” continues to be a brain injury he suffered in the April 6 crash, which killed 16 people and left 13 others injured.
“Layne is getting stronger every day but is struggling getting his speech back,” the statement, released on the Prince Albert Mintos Twitter page, reads.
Matechuk is also working on getting more movement in the right side of his body according to the statement, which notes his leg is “pretty good” but tremors are persisting in his right hand.
The last update from the family came in late June when they said Matechuk had been in a coma for a month and he didn’t seem to remember the crash.
In the statement released Tuesday, the family said Matechuk “is still not fully aware of all that has happened with the accident but is getting closer to being able to deal with it.”
The Matchuk family also expressed their thanks to medical staff, first responders and STARS Air Ambulance for their “pivotal role” in helping everyone involved in the tragedy.
The statement came on the same day the Broncos announced their home opener on Sept. 12 against the Nipawin Hawks was sold out, while tickets for their Sept. 22 matchup go on sale at 10 a.m. Wednesday.