There will be no shortage of oohs and ah’s downtown this weekend as close to 1,000 classic cars show what they got in the ultimate battle of bragging rights.
Rock 102’s Show and Shine is back.
Marveling in the beauty of a rare car might be the main draw of the weekend, but a variety of events over three days means fun for the whole family.
Things get underway Friday afternoon as Rock 102 broadcasts live from Milestone’s on Eighth Street East at 4 p.m. ahead of a big race weekend and a rock convention in the bridge city.
- 6 p.m. – 10 p.m. Rock the River at the Bess Gardens. The sold-out rock festival begins its three-day stay in Saskatoon. Toronto, Nazareth, Nick Gilder & Sweeney Todd are the headliners on Friday night
- 7 p.m. Wyant Group Raceway — Pro Truck, Sportsman, Mini, Street Races
- 9 a.m. SIR Southwinds Showdown Qualifier
- 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Poker Rally at Co-op home store at Eighth St. Rock 102 will be awarding a trip for two to Las Vegas. To enter, pre-register online between 10 a.m. and noon on Saturday. Awards are being handed out at 2 p.m.
- 12 p.m. SIR Southwinds Showdown Eliminations
- 3 p.m. SIR Southwinds Showdown Feature
- 3:30 p.m. Rock the River at the Bess Gardens. Lee Aaron, Men Without Hats, Sweet, Little River Band headline day two
- 5 p.m. – 10 p.m. Co-op Pit Stop on Eighth Street. Grab your lawn chair and join the Rock 102 gang at Co-op to watch and drool as some of Saskatoon’s finest cars cruise Eighth Street. There should be a decent showing in the parking lot as well as all cars are welcome to the parking lot show and shine.
- Rock 102 will be handing out prizes, swag bags, and plenty of food trucks will be on location to satisfy your appetite. Warning to motorists: do not leave your car in the downtown core Saturday night. It will be towed by 4 a.m.
- 8 a.m. Pancake Breakfast at Winston’s English Pub. Proceeds support Rock 102’s Stuff the Bus, a donation initiative for the Saskatoon Food Bank and Learning Centre.
- 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Rock 102 Show & Shine in downtown Saskatoon, spanning from First Avenue to Fourth Avenue, and between 20th Street and 23rd Street. Upwards of 1,000 classic cars, trucks and motorcycles will be on display.
- Hub City Optimist will be selling 50/50 tickets. Proceeds support Rock 102’s Care & Share. Kinsmen Club of Saskatoon will raffle a 1973 Ford Mustang V8, featuring a 429-cubic -inch engine with an appraised value over $17,000.
- Law Enforcement Guardians presents the Homes by Dream Ultimate Man Shed Raffle — a 1950s Retro Malt-Shoppe Garage valued at over $125,000. Raffle tickets are one for $10 or three for $20. Draw date is Sept 30.
- Winston’s English Pub Beer Gardens open at 11 a.m.
To Participate in Rock 102’s Show & Shine
Rock 102 Show & Shine Sunday is a free classic car and truck event for pre-1998 vehicles in showmanship condition. Individual car owners not belonging to a car club or a business do not need to pre-register a vehicle for the Show & Shine. Arrive downtown Saskatoon between 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. on Saturday. All vehicles must be in place & parked by 10:30 a.m. and cannot move until 5 p.m. There are reserved areas for Heritage Car Clubs & Sponsors. They will be marked. Parking is not permitted in these areas.
Note: Please remember that you are not allowed to park in alleys, driveways, curb cuts or down the centre of the road. Your vehicle will be towed.