A farmhouse that has stood for over a century just southeast of Saskatoon was destroyed in a fire early Tuesday morning.
The house was converted into a restaurant and kitchen at Agar’s Corner, a popular destination for weddings and receptions.
The Agar family has occupied the property since 1906.
A fire, believed to have originated in the basement, broke out around 4:30 a.m.
The house had been reduced to smouldering ruins by mid-morning Tuesday.
— Chris Vandenbreekel (@Vandecision) February 20, 2018
The business owners told 650 CKOM that they lost countless family heirlooms, photos and antiques in the blaze.
Bev Andres said her brother-in-law, John Agar, grew up in the home with his siblings before turning it into a small restaurant.
“A lot of memories in this house of family gatherings, and they always had friends over,” she said while looking at the home’s remains.
“It’s devastating for the family.”
Andres said she grew up just down the road with her sister Peggy, who married John and helped him start the restaurant and wedding business.
When the couple retired, the venture was passed on to their son Donald Agar.
Donald told 650 CKOM it had been a “rough morning,” but noted the larger hall for dancing was still standing in a separate cover-all building.
However, he said the fire destroyed their records — including contact information for wedding parties that had booked the venue. They asked anyone with a booking to get in touch with them.