A man and woman have been taken into custody after SWAT had to gas them out of a Regina home early Thursday morning.
Around 11:38 p.m. Wednesday, police were dispatched to a home on the 1400 block of Princess Street for a report of people with a firearm and other weapons.
A 22-year-old man had already left the home when police arrived, and was interviewed by officers.
Patrol members then set up a perimeter and tried to contact people inside the house.
Initially, a 22-year-old woman left the residence. Police continued attempts to communicate with those still inside, but it was unsuccessful.
Since it was possible a firearm could be present, SWAT and negotiators were called. They arrived in a tactical armoured vehicle to get closer and continued trying to negotiate a safe ending.
Police said the explosives disposal unit then used a robot to deliver a landline phone into the home. A secondary robot was deployed to search the main level of the house.
Despite all police attempts at contact, the people inside the home refused to come out.
Police said SWAT then used a “gas option” to the basement.
Around 6:20 a.m.Thursday, a 34-year-old man and 26-year-old woman emerged from the home and were taken into custody.
Police said a search warrant will be obtained to search the premises.
There are no further details as to what charges may result at this time.