The sentencing procedure for the teen killer of Hannah Leflar ended abruptly in a Regina court Monday.
Most of the reports ordered for the case, like psychiatric and psychological assessments, aren’t complete, so there was no choice but to delay until next spring.
“What’s really important is that we do this right and all the necessary materials are before the court,” defence lawyer James Struthers said.
“It simply has to be adjourned so all that can be before the court.”
The teen, who cannot be named because of the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was wearing a dark navy shirt and pants. Handcuffed at the wrists and ankles, he remained downcast during the short time in front of the judge.
The Leflar family, who had been advised of the delay in advance, declined any comment.
In April the teen pleaded guilty to murdering 16-year-old Leflar in her north Regina home in January 2015.
The Crown wants him sentenced as an adult.
“We don’t believe the youth system will hold him accountable enough and that’s why in our view a life sentence is appropriate,” Crown lawyer Chris White said.
Although White made note of the optics that a near year-long delay would have on the case.
“He will be 18 by the time we finish this matter. He was a young person at the time he committed this offence so that is all that matters,” White added.
The other teen co-accused in the first-degree murder begins his trial next month.