A Saskatoon family received a wake-up call in the middle of the night after a fire in Arbor Creek early Friday.
Fire crews were called to a townhouse on Beckett Crescent just before 1:30 a.m. after the owners reported a fire in the basement.
Everyone safely evacuated the home and crews located the family dog uninjured hiding in a shelving unit.
The preliminary investigation found the home’s dryer malfunctioned causing the appliance to catch fire.
Investigators noted a “buildup of lint’ may have been a contributing factor and issued a reminder to the public to regularly check and clean lint traps and ducting.
Damage is estimated at $40,000.