Fire in Regina's Cathedral area causes smoke damage to home
A faulty aquarium is to blame for a small house fire in the Cathedral area of Regina on Monday morning.
Deputy fire chief Layne Jackson says the call came in at 11:19 a.m. from an alarm monitoring company. Fire crews were on the scene of the second-storey house at 3113 Victoria Ave. within three minutes.
"We discovered fire and smoke on the second floor, which we contained to a bedroom and it was easily extinguished," he said.
Outside the home, aside from the fire crew and paramedics, there was no evidence of the blaze.
Just two dogs were home at the time. Jackson says there were taken out a little shaken, but they are fine.
The people who live inside won't be able to return for a while. The damage is estimated at $20,000.
"With this type of damage done to it -- with the smoke throughout -- it'll be advisable not to re-enter the house until it's properly cleaned and assessments done for safety," Jackson said.
Edited by News Talk Radio's Sabeen Ahmad and Karin Yeske.