A Prince Albert family is searching for answers after they lost their son in a horrific incident early Saturday morning.
A car was found engulfed in flames in the West Flat at about 1 a.m. When the fire was put out, human remains were discovered.
The boy's mother, Fanny Ballantyne, confirms the remains are those of her 13-year-old son, Wayne Ballantyne.
She said the last few days have been very emotional for her as she waits for answers, she only knows what she has heard from people in the community.
Human remains are confirmed to be found in a burned vehicle over the weekend.
Prince Albert Police are reporting at about 1 a.m. on Saturday, a patrol unit saw a car fully engulfed in flames.
It was in a driveway in the 900 block of River Street West.
According to police, it was while they were trying to evacuate the residence for safety that officers noticed what looked like human remains in the car.
Prince Albert Fire Department was called and extinguished the fire. It was later verified that they were human remains.
RCMP have released the name of the three-year-old boy who was killed last year due to an unknown incident in Garrick.
Roudy Bourque died in Royal University Hospital in Saskatchewan last December from blunt force trauma to the head, according to an autopsy.
Shane Paschke of Garrick was arrested last Friday under charges of second degree murder after RCMP suspected him being involved in the death of Bourque.
RCMP officials say he was living with Bourque and his mother at the time of the young toddler’s death.
On Sunday morning over 200,000 people protested their government in Kiev, Ukraine. Across the world in Prince Albert, hundreds of people with Ukrainian heritage were headed to church.
The protests in Kiev, which started about three weeks ago, revolve around Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich suspending trade talks with the European Union.
Different parts of the country have sided differently, some favouring strong trade ties with Russia, but the strongest voice has called for closer ties with the European Union.
John Shaoulle has been found guilty of first-degree murder at the Court of Queen's Bench in Prince Albert.
He was accused of brutally sexually assaulting and strangling a Margaret Sewap in Prince Albert.
Her naked body was found on April 8, 2011 behind the Bolt Supply Store on 17th Street East.
At the end of October Shaoulle's defense council, Ian Mokuruk, argued there was no proof that the DNA ended up there during the commission of the murder.
The La Ronge RCMP confirmed on Tuesday that the human remains found in a wooded area near Sucker River were those of Jodi Roberts.
As the family deals with the realization that their loved one is not coming back, the Lac La Ronge Indian Band Office is extending its hand in support.
Chief Tammy Cook-Searson said they have multiple support networks in place for not only the family, but the community.
Imagine having a perfectly healthy little boy, running around, giggling and laughing at Thanksgiving and just more than a week later, being told that he will not live a year.
This has been the reality for the Nathan and Megan Maier family who, just a few months ago moved to an acreage at Preeceville, Sask. from Ontario.
“Leif (Maier) had just gotten glasses,” recalled Megan Maier’s mom, Lois Person. “He had a lazy eye, like so many kids do. Then it was getting worse so they went to see the eye doctor in Yorkton but there was nothing suspicious.”
Prince Albert Police Service and correctional officials are investigating the death of an inmate at the Prince Albert Provincial Correctional Centre.
Correctional workers found the man, who was in custody for undisclosed charges, in his cell on the evening of Nov. 23. The man was the only inmate in the cell.
“Correctional workers found him in his cell, so that would lead to a death in custody investigation which will take three different avenues,” ministry of corrections and policing spokesperson Drew Wilby said.
A Prince Albert man facing three child pornography-related charges has been found not guilty on all counts in court on Thursday.
Paul Skotheim, 48, was on trial for possessing, making available and accessing child pornography at the Saskatchewan Provincial Court in Prince Albert.
For almost 15 years, three women pushed the Saskatchewan Rivers School Division to apologize for victimization they suffered as students.
The abuse revolved around Prince Albert teacher Dennis Foster, who taught for almost 20 years in the school division, from 1975 to 1993.
The women overcame numerous hurdles, twists, and what one of them calls “game playing” during that process.
The need for closure
A written apology from Sask. Rivers School Division is a letter Tammy Gollan waited 15 years to read.