Flood Watch 2011
Thousands are still waiting for their claims to Saskatchewan’s Provincial Disaster Assistance Program (PDAP) to be completed nearly one year after the flood in southeast Saskatchewan.
ROCHE PERCEE -- As ruined homes continue to be demolished, there are fears among some from Roche Percee that their town will never recover.
The images of the water in the town were among the most dramatic from last year. (Scroll down to see video of images of the town this month.)
LAMPMAN -- One year has passed since large parts of southeast Saskatchewan flooded, leaving behind damaged roads, water covered fields and dashed hopes that life would close to back to normal by now.
(Find the full series here.)
Paying for flood damage across the province is costing the government a lot of money but unexpected profits from SaskPower will help pay for the shortfall.
Falling potash and corporate tax revenues shown in the government’s third quarter financial report are also costing the province. Total spending in the budget has gone up by more than $331 million compared to last year in order to pay for flood damages and a new contract for teachers.
With the unprescedented flooding in both 2010 and 2011, people are trying to put their homes back together with some help from the province.
Judy Orthner with the Ministry of Corrections, Public Safety and Policing says more than a year later, the Provincial Disaster Assistance Program (PDAP) is still getting claims from 2010.
“We are in fact, getting about 15 applications a week, even today,” she said.
“To date, we’ve received approximately 6,300 claims from private claimants for assistance and of those about half of the files have been closed.”
One of the most wide-spread and heartbreaking disasters in Saskatchewan history will have lasting impacts.
As we recap the top stories of 2011 as selected by you we look at the one- in- five hundred year flooding that sunk the southeast and the ray of hope that shone through in the end.
(Scroll down to see 2011 flooding videos and photos)
The Saskatchewan Watershed Authority (SWA) is getting another $34 million to cover flood costs.
The Emergency Flood Damage Reduction Program will receive $22 million of that.
That program is to help prepare for anticipated spring flooding.
All told the SWA has been given $76 million from the province to deal with flooding.
Ottawa has agreed to cover some costs as well but it’s not known yet how much.
A $66 million investment by the Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure includes funding for patching along Highway 302 to Weldon Ferry.
The road was severely damaged by water earlier in the year, and a landslide forced the closure of the ferry approach.
Minister Jim Reiter said they are trying to put temporary crossing in place to use for the rest of this year.
"It's especially going to impact people during harvest," said Reiter.
The investment includes approximately 400 projects, which the ministry hopes will bring roads back to pre-moisture conditions.
The Saskatchewan government says its committed to repairing the highways that were ruined by spring flooding, by tackling 400 projects and spending $66 million.
On Tuesday the government announced an additional $46 million in highway repairs, on top of the $20 million already spent in July.
Highways minister Jim Reiter says they're hoping to complete most of the work this year.
“We are hoping that winter doesn’t hit early and that we can get the bulk of this done.”