Saskatoon is pulling together to help with typhoon recovery in the Philippines.
A run is being held Saturday at 9:30 a.m. starting at Brainsport on Broadway. Donations are being collected for Oxfam.
The charity's Michelle Beveridge says cash raised will help teams on the ground provide urgent aid in the hardest hit areas.
"Our main focus is on clean water, sanitation and hygiene," she said.
It has been just over a week since Typhoon Haiyan devastated parts of the Philippines but one Prince Albert resident is still worried about her family back home.
The official death toll is more than 3,600 and almost 1,200 people are still missing, including 55 Canadians.
Mary Joy Santiago immigrated to Canada from the Philippines in 2006. On Monday she said she has heard from some of her cousins, but she’s still waiting to hear from some of her father’s family.
A group of Saskatoon sixth graders are proof size doesn’t matter when it comes to helping others a world away, no matter how big the challenge.
On Monday, 25 students at St. Marguerite Catholic Elementary School will hold a raffle at their school with all the proceeds going to a charity for typhoon-ravaged Philippines.
“We have such a high number of Pilipino students at St. Marguerite that it just seemed like the obvious thing to do,” teacher supervisor Karrie Thomas said.
With more than 11.3 million people affected by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, people around the world are coming together to help send donations of any kind to the hardest-hit areas.
The international humanitarian relief organization ShelterBox International is helping with the cause. ShelterBox Canada is a partner with ShelterBox International and Prince Albert’s Lyle Karasiuk, with Parkland Ambulance, is a local ambassador for Shelter Box Canada.
Karasiuk explained what the shelter actually is.
Whenever there is a natural disaster in the world, there is often someone looking to take advantage of people who want to donate.
Janie Perreault with the RCMP's Commercial Crime Unit said at this point, police are not aware of any particular scams in Regina involving the typhoon relief for the Philippines. Her advice is to be aware of people approaching you for money via unsolicited emails or phone calls.
"When someone is coming to you, it's hard to tell if they are the real deal or not," she noted.
They may be far away, but the people of Regina's Filipino community are determined to help those facing the destruction after Typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines over the weekend.
"Every time you turn on TV you can see the sorry sight of the state of the country. My heart goes to them," said Terry Abadiano.
A need to do something is the reason why the Philippine Association of Saskatchewan, the Philippine Nurses Association of Saskatchewan and the Filipino Canadian International Travel came together to find a way to send aid to family in their home country.
There is still no clear picture of the death toll after Typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines over the weekend, but for Filipino people living in Saskatchewan the news is especially hard to take.
Claire Quintero’s family lives in the province of Leyte which is one of the regions devastated by the typhoon.
“Some of my cousins they are OK after battling a few hours in the water,” she said.
Her relief was mixed with sadness when she learned that her aunt and cousin were killed in the storm.
They lost the roof but they are all alive - a Filipino woman in Regina waited two days and two nights to hear that message from her family in the Philippines.
The RCMP is releasing more details about an accident that happened Saturday morning at the Roy Lloyd Mine site, northeast of La Ronge.
A 58-year-old man was working, when the ground beneath him collapsed. Crews had been doing some blasting at the time.
"He was trapped for about an hour. He was completely submerged up to his neck when his partner found him, and he could only see the top of his hard hat at the time," said Sgt. Craig Cleary.
The man was released soon after taken to hospital in La Ronge.
The 7.2-magnitude earthquake hit the central Philippine island of Bohol on Tuesday, killing at least 93 people.
Wright, who has lived in Canada since 1986, is from Baclayon, Bohol. She said her family and their homes are relatively unscathed despite the damage. Many roads and bridges are broken, making rescue efforts difficult.