Human activity is being blamed for a wildfire that continued to burn south of Prince Albert Thursday.
The fire, which started early Wednesday afternoon near Macdowell, had grown in size by Thursday to nearly 150 hectares. Thats about 1.5 square kilometres, which is five times the size of Prince Albert's Cooke Golf Course, or slightly larger than Saskatoon's downtown.
Residents of Slave Lake have been evacuated due to wildfires taking over.
Approximately, 7,000 residents were ordered to evacuate the town on Sunday after fire spread into the town.
The RCMP estimate about 30 per cent of the town's homes and buildings are gone, including Town Hall, the hospital and radio station.
Firefighters are being sent in from as far away as Ontario to help battle the blaze.
If you are trying to reach friends or family in Slave Lake, contact 1-780-523-3388.
Edited by News Talk Radio's Sabeen Ahmad.
A house fire in Regina's north end Monday morning has claimed the life of a 75-year-old man who was living in the home.
Investigators say the fire was accidental and can be "attributed to the use of smoking material while in the use of oxygen therapy."
Fire crews responded to the home on the corner of Broad Street and 3rd Avenue North. They battled the fire while trying to rescue the resident. Another person living in the home was apparently outside mowing the lawn when the blaze broke out and was not hurt.
As temperatures got close to -40 C early Sunday morning in Regina, several people had to escape their home when it caught on fire.
Fire crews were called to 1326 King Street around 4:20 Sunday morning. Someone inside found the fire then called 911 before leaving. Several people were able to get out and no one was injured. As a precaution, the home next door was evacuated as well, .
The fire bus was brought to the scene to keep people in the homes warm and to rehabilitate the fire fighters.
Frigid temperatures didn't hamper efforts by the Yorkton Fire Department after flames broke out at a condo structure under construction Thursday night.
The call about the fire came in around 10:30 p.m. when the mercury sat around -25 and the wind chill was around -38. A roofing company had been working on the structure of the building roughly five hours before the fire department was called. Deputy fire chief Greg Litvanyi suspects the hot work they were doing smouldered until flames broke out later in the night, leaving crews to deal with both the fire and the elements.
A large house has gone up in flames in the community of Saskatchewan Beach on the east side of Last Mountain Lake.
Callers alerted News Talk Radio to the blaze early Friday afternoon. Village administrator Sharie Hall said the volunteer fire department from nearby Silton and some local residents did their best, but there was no chance to save it.
"Not at all. It was just massive flames, right away."
She says those local residents brought their own water tanks to help the fire crew.
The Regina International Airport had to evacuate its maintenance garage on Thursday after a small natural gas line was ruptured.
Gas services to the building on the 2700 block of Otter Lane were shut off and SaskEnergy crews were on the scene by midafternoon to fix the damage.
According to a SaskEnergy spokesperson, no gas leaked into the ground and services to the airport were not affected.
The spokesperson said crews would be working into the evening to repair the line.
A man in Regina was thanking “a third entity” on Saturday after SaskEnergy found the highest levels of carbon monoxide they’ve ever seen in his home.
Dave Cedar said he’d been feeling funny all week: he was getting headaches and couldn’t sleep at night. He told his landlord that something wasn’t right with his new apartment, and asked for a carbon monoxide detector.
After a bit of a battle with his landlord, Cedar finally installed the CO detector on Friday. It didn’t take long before the alarm went off.