By: Taylor MacPherson
A Humboldt woman said her daughter is scared to eat Halloween candy after she found a pin inserted into a chocolate bar.
Vickie Meyer said her 11-year-old daughter Chelan was opening a Coffee Crisp bar Friday when she noticed a small hole in the wrapper. The girl opened the bar, Meyer said, and saw that the hole continued into the chocolate. After picking away the outer layer of chocolate with her fingernail, Meyer said her daughter discovered a pin had apparently been pushed into the candy through the packaging.
“As soon as I got home from work they showed it to me,” Meyer told paNOW. “I was completely sick to my stomach. Absolutely sick. I just don’t know how people can do that to young children.”
Meyer said she is searching the remainder of the candy brought home by her three children to ensure nothing else was tampered with. She has always taught her three children to carefully examine their candy before eating it, she said, but her daughter was still left quite shaken by the incident.
“It scared her. It really scared her,” Meyer said. “She was going to take her whole candy bag and throw it all in the garbage. She said she’s never going Halloweening again.”
Her children went trick-or-treating in Humboldt, Meyer said, but she is not sure of which areas they covered. Because the chocolate bars are so common, Meyer said it would be difficult to trace the pin back to its source even if she knew their exact route.
Meyer said she intends to report the incident to RCMP and shared a photo on social media hoping to encourage local parents to take a good look at the candy brought home by their children. Some online commenters have accused her of fabricating the incident, but Meyer said she just wants to ensure nobody is hurt.
“I just want to get it out there and let people know that it was real,” she said. “I don’t want to see something happen to my kids or anybody else’s… Attention is the last thing I’m looking for.”
A spokesperson for the Humboldt RCMP detachment said no other cases of foreign objects in candy were reported in the area. Any incidents involving unsafe or tampered-with candy should be reported directly to police, the spokesperson said.
On Twitter: @TMacPhersonNews