Evacuees from Pelican Narrows were in Saskatoon Wednesday, preparing to wait out the forest fire situation threatening their homes.
Earlier this week, community leaders urged Pelican Narrows residents to get out as forest fires threatened the main road into the area, which is home to about 3,000 people.
Hundreds made the decision to leave, with about 690 making the trip to Saskatoon.
Among them was Ken Custer, who spoke to 650 CKOM at an evacuee shelter set up at Saskatoon’s Henk Ruys Soccer Centre.
Custer said he was hearing conflicting reports about the state of his home.
“A lot of people are telling me it burned down, my trailer burned down. I’m not really sure, but a lot of people are saying it,” he said.
Custer said there were some tense moments leading up to the evacuation.
“Fire was just coming like crazy. We were kind of freaking out. I wanted to stay back just to keep my house – but they forced us to come out here,” he said.
With many children among the evacuees and no word on when they might be able to return home, parents were already busy trying to find ways to keep their little ones entertained.
About 690 evacuees from Pelican Narrows were in Saskatoon, according to Social Services.
—with files from Chris Carr