A devastating fire started by a cigarette gutted a house on Hampton Circle Sunday night.
Eleven-year-old Colson Klinger had been sent to his room over spilled milk when he noticed flames coming from his neighbours deck across the back alley.
“It was just like really, really small,” said Colson, decribing when he first saw the fire around 9:20 p.m.
Colson told his 14-year-old sister, Ami, and their dad, who dialed 911.
Colson and his sister then ran towards the house to warn anyone inside about the fire.
“We ran to their house and like we were knocking on the door like crazy and ringing the doorbell for a long time and I had a feeling that someone was in there, so I kept going and finally this guy comes out and we tell him like, ‘Oh, your deck is on fire’,” Ami said.
At the time, three people were inside the house, all of whom got out safely.
Just after warning them about the blaze, the Klingers said they heard a loud boom and watched flames grow around as high as six feet tall.
“It was intimidating you know, just standing on the opposite side of the sidewalk you could feel the intense heat coming off from the house,” Ami said.
Crews arrived to find the home engulfed in flames so high they were visible several blocks away.
When asked by CKOM why they ran towards the danger, Ami explained, “Cause you never know somebody could be sleeping somebody could be in there unaware of the fire.”
The Saskatoon Fire Department said their decision and actions allowed time for people to safely evacuate before fire overtook the home.
Damages are estimated to be $450,000.