A Grade 7 student at Caswell School in Saskatoon was sent to hospital after a science experiment mishap Friday afternoon.
Saskatoon Public School Division spokesperson Veronica Baker said the students were simulating volcanic eruptions with paper mache creations.
“They were on the tarmac,” she said. “During one of the experiments, a glass container inside the paper mache volcano exploded.”
She noted staff immediately called 9-1-1 after realizing students had been hit by the glass.
Baker said the student’s injuries weren’t serious.
Three other classmates received minor injuries and were treated at the school.
Baker said the school division would review the incident.
“We’ll certainly be talking to staff,” she said. “We always take situations like this and see what we can learn.”
She wouldn’t comment on whether the supervising teacher would face any consequences, citing privacy legislation.
Baker did mention it was an odd circumstance.
“Certainly in my time here we’ve never had an issue with a science experiment going wrong like this.”