The Regina Pats are riding an eight-game winning streak right into the playoffs.
The number one team in the WHL played its last regular season game Saturday night in Brandon, beating their rivals 6-0, just a day after stomping them 7-1.
Connor Hobbs also set a new franchise record for goals scored by a defenceman at 31.
The first half of the game started out rather slow with just one goal scored by Jonathan Smart halfway through the first period.
The next goal didn’t come until halfway through the second period, which is also when the Pats stepped on the gas and didn’t let up.
Austin Wagner scored his 35th goal of the season with an assist from Adam Brooks.
Then Hobbs got on the board with his record breaker putting the Pats up 3-0.
As the clock ticked down on the final seconds of period two, Dawson Leedahl chipped one in for the Pats fourth goal of the night.
Pats captain Adam Brooks got his hands on the puck in the third period and got one past Brandon goalie Logan Thompson, then went on to get the assist on Filip Ahl’s goal later on in the game.
Brooks led the team in points Saturday with four, but the effort it wasn’t quite enough to beat teammate Sam Steel for the WHL scoring title. Brooks finished the season with 130 points, and Steel with 131.
The Pats next game is Friday at the Brandt Centre where they square off against the Calgary Hitmen in round one of the playoffs.
Puck drop is at 7 p.m. and tickets are already on sale.
- Game 1: Friday, March 24, 7 p.m. at the Brandt Centre
- Game 2: Saturday, March 25, 7 p.m. at the Brandt Centre
- Game 3: Tuesday, March 28, 7 p.m. at the Scotiabank Saddledome
- Game 4: Thursday, March 30, 7 p.m. at the Scotiabank Saddledome
- Game 5: Sunday, April 2, 4 p.m. at the Brandt Centre*
- Game 6: Monday, April 3, 7 p.m. at the Scotiabank Saddledome*
- Game 7: Wednesday, April 5, 7 p.m. at the Brandt Centre*
- *if necessary