Thursday morning saw a rough start to the day for people living in an apartment building on Avenue X South.
Firefighters had to be called in shortly after 3:30 a.m. due to a carbon monoxide leak.
Residents from 24 units had to be evacuated. Those with nowhere to go were sheltered inside a city bus.
A CO detector in one of the suites alerted residents and crews identified a faulty boiler as the source of the potentially deadly gas.
They reportedly detected carbon monoxide levels in the building that were three times above the threshold for an evacuation.
“We evacuate 50 parts per million. In the mechanical room, the reading was 165,” said Battalion Chief Don Tyndall, adding exposure at that level can cause headaches and nausea.
No one will be allowed to stay in the building until the boiler is fixed.
The Red Cross has made arrangements for six families to stay at a local hotel. A spokesperson for the Emergency Response Team said they will reassess the situation if more help is needed past 72 hours.