Misplaced the telephone number for SaskEnergy – or perhaps you simply need to call a taxi?
It might be best to try Google first before calling 911.
But that’s exactly what some people did. On Thursday, Saskatchewan RCMP released a list of bizarre calls it received to dispatch in 2016.
Here are the very real reasons why people called 911:
- because they needed a cab.
- because they were cleaning their house yesterday, and think they accidentally threw out a small propane tank and is afraid it may explode.
- advising they were trying to get the phone number for SaskEnergy.
- called to wish members a Merry Christmas and needed an area code.
- because their neighbour had an outdoor Christmas light projection display lighting up the side of their home and it bothered them.
- asking police to find out their online friend’s addresses so they could send them Christmas cards.
- because their furnace would not stop running.
- because there was no heat in the bar.
- someone was looking for a serviceman and wanted a new phone.
- someone wanted to find out when their friend would be released from police custody.
The RCMP doesn’t want to discourage the use of 911, but officers are sending a reminder that the number is an emergency line and should be used only in an emergency situation.