The Saskatoon Hilltops football team entered November preparing to defend its Canadian Bowl championship, but the focus lately has been on a major distraction that occurred off the field last month.
Two players have been suspended indefinitely following an incident at the team’s practice field in which a player lost consciousness after being taped to a pole.
An ambulance was called and an 18-year-old male was taken to hospital in stable condition.
He was released the same day and was back with the team a few days later.
Even though the incident happened Oct. 14, an official statement on the matter is just being released this week.
It came from Chris Hangen-Braun, the Executive Board Member for the Saskatoon Hilltops.
In that statement, the team insists this was not a case of hazing, but rather, retribution for a tasteless joke made by the player who was targeted.
“Yes, the player is an 18-year-old rookie, but this was in response to something that was said. This has nothing to do with a hazing incident.”
Hangen Braun said the team has already taken steps to ensure something like this doesn’t happen again.
“We’re extremely embarrassed, frustrated, saddened that it occurred,” Hangen-Braun said. “We want to make sure all the players and everyone involved understand that this is not how you conduct yourself as a Saskatoon Hilltop.”
Saskatoon police have investigated and determined the players involved did not intend to cause any injury. The 18-year-old chose not to pursue the matter and charges will not be laid.