Talks between the city and the union representing its transit workers are set to resume on Monday.
The Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 615 issued a 48-hour strike notice on Friday. The notice put the union in a legal position to walk off the job effective 5 p.m. Sunday. So far, workers remain on the job.
Union leadership said other forms of job action would come ahead of a full-on walkout. Options include a work-to-rule campaign, an overtime ban, drivers not wearing uniforms and study sessions, as well as partial or complete withholding of service.
In a letter to city management, union local president Jim Yakubowski wrote: “ATU 615 will not be initiating a complete cessation of work immediately in the event this notice is enacted upon at or after 5 p.m. on Sunday Sept. 18.”
Yakubowski said he would inform city management in advance of any job action.
Marno McInnes, the city’s director of human resources, said in a media release that progress was made in talks over the weekend. He went on to state that both sides were to return to the bargaining table on Monday.
Saskatoon Transit workers have been without a contract since 2012.