Saskatoon fire investigators have figured out how flames ignited in a school in the city’s King George neighbourhood.
Emergency crews were called around 1:30 p.m. Thursday after someone noticed black smoke pouring from a vent on the main floor at St. John school on Avenue N South.
Investigators said Friday the fire started on the cooking surface of a stove in the kitchen area.
One of the burners had been accidently turned on by a young child, causing something left on the stove to catch fire.
The fire department said a ‘fire separation door’ did its job in preventing the flames from spreading to others parts of the school.
It took crews about 20 minutes to get it under control.
No one was hurt.