Charged have been laid in a case of animal abuse that sparked outrage online over the weekend.
On Saturday, a vet clinic in Lumsden, Sask. posted on Facebook that RCMP had brought in an injured kitten found in a campground at Craven Country Jamboree.
The clinic said the tiny orange tabby, now nicknamed Jamboree, was soaked in boozed, with singed whiskers and burns on its tiny body.
“She was brought in with allegations from campers at the jamboree seeing the kitten being doused in alcohol, and attempts to light it on fire to see if the alcohol would burn,” said Dr. Tanya Marshall with TM’z Veterinary Clinic on Monday.
The kitten is believed to have wandered into the campground where thousands of people were staying for the annual county music festival held in Craven, located 33 kilometres north of Regina.
Since the news broke, people flocked to social media to express outrage over the alleged abuse.
RCMP launched an investigation over the weekend, and on Monday charged two people in connection to the case.
A man and a boy are charged with causing distress to an animal.
RCMP are not naming either of the people accused at this time.
While Jamboree is expected to make a full recovery, Marshall said the extent of the injuries shouldn’t take away from the act of abuse.
“There is injury to this kitten; this kitten didn’t deserve this,” she said. “The kitten was dehydrated as well, and we’ve certainly treated those things. She’s doing well, she’s playful.”
The veterinarian also stressed the alleged abuse is emblematic of a larger problem.
“This is not a jamboree issue; this is an individual, human, issue. They put this kitten in this situation,” she said.
As for what’s next for little Jamboree, she’ll remain in care at the Lumsden vet clinic for the next while.
“We’re certainly looking for her to get a forever home, but at this point in time she’s been through enough,” Marshall said.