Five boys are believed to be behind a massive fire that caused heavy black smoke to be seen far past Saskatoon city limits last week.
Saskatoon police said three youth have been charged, and two others warned, in relation to the industrial fire near Avenue P and 14th Street.
At least 100 cars ended up burning in AJ’s Salvage yard, which contained more than 1,000 vehicles.
More than 40 personnel were involved in the fight, and the assistant fire chief said damages were estimated at $250,000.
Officers first received reports of the fire just after 5:30 p.m. on April 19. After arriving on scene, police found five boys and took them in for questioning.
The youth were released into the custody of their parents at the time.
Police said further investigation has revealed a 14-year-old boy was responsible for lighting the initial blaze.
He faces charges of arson and break and enter and will appear in Provincial Court Friday morning.
Police said the four other boys are believed to have also played a part in the initial fire; however, because two of them are under 12, criminal charges could not be laid.
The other two, ages 13 and 14, are facing charges of arson, break and enter and breaking court conditions.
They are expected in Provincial Court Thursday.