An electrical cord has been identified as what sparked a fire that claimed a woman’s life in Regina early Saturday morning.
Regina Fire & Protective Services were called to the home on Montague Steet at 12:30 a.m. The fire caused “moderate” damage to the home.
On Monday, a release said a “failure of an electrical cord” ignited “combustible material”. The release went on to say the fire was unintentional and preventable.
The woman who died in the fire hasn’t been identified. A number of pets were also killed in the blaze.
The fire department reminds people to keep cords clear of combustible material like paper, plastic and clothes. Cords can generate heat, and should not be covered with mats and other materials as they can fail over time and could cause a fire.