Around 15 inmates on remand at the Regina Correctional Centre have started to eat again after a five-day hunger strike for better cable TV and exercise yard.
The inmates began refusing food trays on Thursday over a number of complaints, most notably that they are locked in cells for 21 hours. As a result of that containment, the inmates were demanding better food, a movie channel as part of their cable TV package and an improved exercise yard.
“The Ministry of Justice and Corrections and Policing officials won’t negotiate with offenders while they are on a tray refusal, now that it has been lifted, we will obviously have a discussion on some of the concerns they have raised,” explained Drew Wilby with the Ministry of Justice, Monday afternoon.
Forrest Pelletier is awaiting trial on charges for break and enter and spearheading this tray refusal and another earlier this year.
“I am trying to have negotiations with them [prison officials], this is day five,” Pelletier explained by phone from prison on Monday morning.
Later on Monday afternoon the Ministry of Justice confirmed that the inmates started accepting food trays and asking for their canteen orders as well.
“That 21 hours of lock up a day is the standard for that unit, right now that will not change,” Wilby said.
He said the inmates in that particular unit are under the highest security in the province because of their gang affiliations and the potential threat they pose. Wilby added that these inmates can get out of the high security lock up for good behaviour.