It’s an ugly thing to happen on Christmas Eve.
Saskatoon homeowners are mourning the loss of two dogs after their kitchen caught fire around 12:30 p.m. Thursday afternoon.
It happened in the 1500 block of Preston Avenue South between the Holliston and Brevroot Park neighbourhoods.
Crews were able to extinguish the fire in 10 minutes, but Battalion Chief Brent Hart said the house is filled with smoke damage.
He also said the homeowners had been out Christmas shopping when the fire started. They saw smoke when they arrived home and called 9-1-1.
A fire investigator determined the blaze was accidental after an electric toaster malfunctioned. Damage is estimated at $150,000.