The court case continues to stall for the man responsible for a brutal assault in Prince Albert last summer as he remains without legal representation.
Leslie Black made an appearance Tuesday morning at Prince Albert Provincial Court.
On Aug. 11, legal aid withdrew from the case leaving Black without a lawyer. At the time, Black told the judge he would appeal the decision. If his appeal was denied, a court appointed lawyer would be provided for him.
Since then, Black has yet to make a formal appeal with legal aid. However, he told the judge on Tuesday he has sent legal aid a written request for a court appointed lawyer.
A legal aid representative said she would look into the request but Black would still have to formally appeal with legal aid for the case to progress.
Black also requested to be assessed by the Battlefords Mental Health Centre saying, “I believe there is something wrong with me and I need some help.”
“I believe there is something wrong with me and I need some help.” – Leslie Black
The judge says he will entertain Black’s requests but he must first provide a legal aid with a formal appeal.
Black’s next court appearance will be Oct. 7 at 10 a.m.