A 14-year-old boy has been charged with manslaughter and criminal negligence causing death after the shooting death of teen in Saskatoon.
The 15-year-old victim was found dead on Labour Day evening after police were called to a home on Avenue Q South and 19th Street.
Police have said the two boys know each other and the shooting was not a random act. The teenagers were very close and the victim “practically” lived at the house on Avenue Q South, according to a friend.
Speaking on the condition of anonymity, the friend of both boys told CKOM News last week that the 14-year-old is struggling to cope with the shooting.
The boy is also charged with the following related to two guns: an automatic shotgun and a sawed-off .22 rifle:
• Two counts of possession of weapon for dangerous purpose
• Two counts of possession of firearm knowing it is unauthorized
• One count of careless use of firearm
• One count of pointing firearm
• One count possession of prohibited weapon with ammunition
• Two counts of possession of firearm contrary to order
• One count possession of ammunition contrary to order
The shooting is the sixth homicide of the year.
The boy is scheduled to be in court on Sept. 16 for a bail hearing.