A Regina man who worked closely with kids now faces sex charges in British Columbia.
Crown prosecutors in B.C. said 41-year-old Jason Hubelit was involved in an incident on July 16 near Toﬁno. He’s charged with a number of oﬀences on youth under 16, including one count of sexual interference and one count of sexual assault. Another charge of invitation to sexual touching was stayed.
Hockey Regina’s Blair Watson conﬁrmed Hubelit had been in the system for a number of years, most recently as a head coach for a bantam team of 13 and 14 year olds. Watson outlined the normal procedures before they accept coaches into minor hockey.
“All of our coaches provide us with a criminal record check they have gotten within the last 12 months,” he explained.
Charges that arise after an individual clears the original checks are then dealt with through the board of directors.
“Stuﬀ like that would go through to the board and then the board would make a decision on whether the allegations are warranted to remove the coach.”
However, Watson said it’s not something they’ll be dealing with, because Hubelit has not applied to coach for the upcoming season.
Hubelit is also said to have been a part of a christian youth group that goes by the name Canadian Christian Youth Adventures. When News Talk Radio called the number listed for that group, a man who identiﬁed himself as Jason answered. The man referred all questions to be handled by his lawyer in B.C.
Calls from his lawyer were not immediately returned. Hubelit’s matter is back in a B.C. courtroom Sept. 14.