A boy charged after a stabbing at last year’s Saskatoon Ex was sentenced Wednesday.
Court heard that the boy, then 17, was at the Ex with his brother and another friend. All three were allegedly involved with the Indian Posse street gang.
They ran into another group, affiliated with a rival gang, near the entrance to the Ex’s kids village. Earlier that day the two groups had argument at the Mac’s on Ruth Street and Lorne Avenue.
Words were exchanged again, and then weapons came out. The 15-year-old victim was stabbed twice in the arm and once in the chest.
Cellphone video taken by a witness was shown in court. The video showed a chaotic scene, with both groups yelling at each other. Panicked onlookers and several children could be seen near the scene. The boy could be seen in the video running up and lunging towards another male.
The video ended with the victim holding up his t-shirt with blood on his chest.
The boy pleaded guilty to stabbing the victim once. He said he panicked during the altercation between the groups.
The boy got a nine month sentence. He’ll serve the first six in open custody and the next three under supervision.
The judge said he could have given a closed custody sentence, but the boy had no prior record and needs programming for fetal alcohol spectrum disorder.
Follow on Twitter: @BrynLevy